Thursday

Operation Papusas

Dan and I are on the hunt for papusas in Charlotte for Cinco de Mayo lunch. I know, I know- papusas aren't Mexican, they're Salvadoran, but Cinco de Mayo isn't really a Mexican holiday anyway, right? It's one of those holidays inflated in America to sell beer. (A google search tries to convince me that the holiday really does have roots in the Mexican Battle of Puebla in 1862, but all I'm hearing is blah, blah-blah, blah blah.)

I'm so glad I have the night off from the grocery store- last year on the 5th of May there were many people of non-hispanic origin running in to buy Carona and Dos Equis, and then when that sold out- Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo, Tecate and Sol. Funny. I'm sure Victoria beer will also be near the top of that list this year.



Anyhow, Our favorite pupusería closed its doors awhile back, and we've yet to find a replacement. Any Charlotte suggestions? Do you have a good papusa spot in your town, or do you make them at home? Are you doing anything (or nothing?) for Cinco de Mayo?

1 comment:

  1. via Facebook Rachel Taliaferro said: They have some at compare foods restaurant on independence blvd. Also try the food court at plaza fiesta!

    via Twitter @lindsaywynne said: el pulgarcito de americas has good pupusas http://bit.ly/jmBOIX . There is also a Honduran restaurant on Central that supposedly has good papusas

    via Twitter @Soul_Gastro said: Nada clue but find it and we will go!

    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Any more? Have you ever made them?

    ReplyDelete