Monday

Homemade Applesauce


Ginger Wagner bonds with her family each year as they spend an entire day making applesauce. "I make it with my mom and two of my sisters, and sometimes other family members help. We use Empire apples from Perry Lowe Orchards in Wilkes County, near Brushy Mountain. With 4 bushels of apples and 9 hours of work, we make 60 quarts of applesauce. It's a lot of work but the reward is so yummy!" she says.

More photos after the jump.


Ginger posted something on her Twitter page about this year's result, and I was immediately all over it. I bugged her on Twitter until she agreed to give me a jar- and boy, am I glad I did! Dan made some salty fried hashbrowns and we had the sweet applesauce on top. You can just taste that extra bit of love that goes into anything handmade!

Enjoy Ginger's (almost as sweet) photos, and visit her Flickr page if you'd like to read more about the process. Also, check out her jewelry shop at www.msbelle.etsy.com.








2 comments:

  1. Awww, thank you so much!!! I'm so happy you like the applesauce!! It's really yummy, isn't it? Even though it's a lot of work, it's sooooooo worth the effort!

    I really appreciate this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is great! I am eating some for dessert right now!

    ReplyDelete