Tuesday


Post #4, the last post in an August series about organizing your creative space. Catch up by reading Post #1, Post #2 and Post #3.

A Few Parting Words...

I've lived in homes filled with piles of things my whole life. From my parents I got my creativity, kindness, and my CLUTTER. So for 25 years I have felt at home in my messy spaces. But this is a new day. I have learned how to clean up my act and made the decsion that I am going to keep it that way. It's not going to be easy, but if I can do it now, truly anyone can.

If you have been following this series, you now have an organized work area ready for the busy fall season. Now comes the challenge- maintaining your clean space. If you follow through on the practices and rituals you have developed and hold yourself accountable, you will reap the benefits.

Since "Get Organized Month" at Stitch Machine is coming to a close, I'll leave you with a few other areas to work on now that your creative space has been taken care of:

Relaxation Space
Make sure you have a tidy, relaxing place seperate from your creative space, even if you have to make a room divider. In the early years of Stitch Machine I tried to make my creative space and my relaxation space the same. That didn't work.

Car
I once read that "a car is a mode of transportation, not a storage space on wheels". So true.

Kitchen
The dishes are the biggest problem here. They just keep getting dirty! Make sure the dishwasher is always ready for more dirty dishes so you can avoid pileup in the sink. This means that when a load is done, you'll have to put the clean dishes away immediately. If you don't have a dishwasher, do your best to wash dishes right after dinner to avoid the pile. Easier said than done, I know.

Closet
Go through all of your clothes and remove anything that doesn't fit, can't be repaired, or you haven't worn in the past year. Organize a clothing swap with friends. Donate the unclaimed clothes.

Body
Exercise and eat healthy foods. Learning to cook will help you to eat fresher and cheaper!

Mind
You have to get your mind organized before you can start to live the life you want to live. Most of us wouldn't bat an eye at taking care of our bodies when we get sick, but when our minds get sick, it is a different story. If you have buried stress that is holding you back, take action. Stress can wreak havoc on your space, health, relationships, and your life. That thing you have been putting off- finding a psycologist, going to an AA meeting, seeing a doctor, getting in touch with your faith, whatever- have courage, and do it! You have to take care of you. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment