Wednesday

I tried to knit once during my freshman year of high school. I did pretty well with that swatch, even getting in a good cable stitch or two. (Is that what it is called? I have a lot to learn!) After that though, I never did anything else with knitting. I didn't know how to read a pattern, and my grandparents only crocheted, so I put it away and just continued crocheting since I already knew much more about that. I am now, after 8 years, trying again. I am armed with much more knowledge now, better books, and a complete set of needles that were given to me by someone who doesn't knit anymore. My (new) first army green knitted swatch is not very consistent, but I am excited that you can actually tell the difference between my attempts to knit and purl. I even tried my hand at a little ribbing on the bottom. Being a crocheter, I was most surprised to find that there are really only two stitches in knitting: the knit and the purl. All of the varied textures you see in knitting come from alternating knits and purls in different combinations. Amazing! You also don't have to worry about the end of the row and beginning of the next row (not like in crocheting where the beginning of your next row varies- second chain from hook, third chain from hook, etc.- depending on stitch type). But I'm not getting down on crocheting exclusively- I'm sure there are lots of knitting practices that I will complain about in the near future!




My first attempt at a knitted garment- The "ribbed for her pleasure" scarf from the Stitch 'n Bitch Knitter's Handbook. My first few rows got a little wonky, but I corrected them enough to get by.













Update on Stash Buster Project: My crocheted vest is finally starting to resemble a vest shape. I need to get on with this personal project so that I can work on stuff for Stitch Machine! It is now about 40% done. I am looking into adding some of those project trackers to my blog, so I can explain my progress easier.